Nuclear promoters are in business consultants or big business folks. Currently Japan is not ready to give up nuclear energy right away because it has been focusing on nuclear so much in the past without thinking about safety issue seriously.
Nuclear zombies in Japan argues that anti-nuclear nuclear energy movement is naive and irrational. They argue Japanese economy is too intimately entrenched with nuclear energy. Unfortunately that may be currently the case. This strong nuclear dependency was a product of political decision when the risk associated with nuclear energy was not well understood. Many scientific advance in different fields discovered more risks to nuclear safety. Nuclear technology did advance but fundamentally, the force of nature can easily overwhelm any safety measures.
There are many irrational people in both side. Some people are against nuclear energy without any understanding of its consequences. But many people are willing to sacrifice to their nuclear dependency. And thanks to the advance in renewable energy in recent years, we have more alternative sources of energy than we had in 1986.
Nuclear zombies must to solve the following problems before they can have their favourite radiating reactors back on their table.
1) Stop corruption in nuclear management in technical and maintenance. Prevent human errors and unexpected technical problems without leading to catastrophe. Fukushima is horrible but it was lucky that nuclear reactors did not exploded more destructively.
2) Fix problems by really fixing the problems instead of not reporting them or looking other way around.
3) Prepare for all the natural disasters known in the past. Revisit their safety assumption and revise and improve rectors accordingly. Japan cannot find appropriate safe sites for nuclear plants nor nuclear spent fuel treatment and storage spaces.
4) Find a way to handle spent fuel. A large, seismically stable country may build some storage lasting over 10000 years but Japan cannot afford to gamble a such risk.
5) Nuclear is too expensive to cover risk of the all the operations including spent fuel management. Private companies cannot possibly operate it without governmental guarantee. Nuclear is economically a dumb investment.
6) Build a nuclear plant close to its predominant users if residents want. Toronto and Antwerp and many cities have one, for instance. Geological situation is different but if that is an excuse then reconsider the energy strategy instead of cheery picking a vulnerable economically depressed place that is economically dead place without nuclear money.
7) Nuclear power plant technology is too closely related to development of nuclear weapons historically and even currently: see Iran and Saudi as well as N. Korea. Does Japan really want to sell it to other countries? Promoting nuclear plants is irresponsible and it is equivalent to exporting Fukushima.
Fukushima has already created an unsafe area of size larger than Biwako and radiation level there is too high if normal nuclear regulations are enforced.
I would argue nuclear zombies lack any imagination and any consideration beyond next 5-10 years, and they are mainly focusing their financial interests, and try to exploit as much revenue as possible.
At this point, any one who like to promote nuclear energy in Japan is irrational.