This can prevent you from having an erection. People in University of Waterloo did some research of the effectiveness of the health warning of smoking on a package, and found it makes some people stop smoking. You can see some example down below. Canada and Qubec have comprehensive health care systems so they do not want to waste tax money to treat diseases related to smoking. Quebec is a part of Canada but I think they have their own health care system. A package in Japan and probably in USA does not carry such a warning.
Graphic Canadian Cigarette Warning Labels and Adverse Outcomes: Evidence from Canadian Smokers
David Hammond, Geoffrey T. Fong, Paul W. McDonald, K. Stephen Brown, and Roy Cameron
August 2004, Vol 94, No. 8 | American Journal of Public Health 1442-1445
Approximately one fifth of participants reported smoking less as a result of the labels; only 1% reported smoking more.
Conclusions. Policymakers should not be reluctant to introduce vivid or graphic warnings for fear of adverse outcomes.
Cigarettes may cause impotence due to decreased blood flow to the penis.
- Melman A, Gingell JC. The epidemiology and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. J Urol 1999 Jan;161(10):5-11
- Jeremy JY, Mikhailidis DP. Cigarette smoking and erectile dysfunction. JR Soc Health 1998 Jun;118
- Mikhailidis DP, Ganotakis ES, Papadakis JA, Jeremy JY. Smoking and urological disease. JR Soc Health 1998 Aug;118(4):210-2
- Condra M, Morales A, Owen JA, Surridge DH, Fenemore J. Prevalence and Significances of Tobacco Smoking in Impotence. J Urol 1986 Jun;27(6):495-8
- Mannino DM, Klevens RM, Fladers WD. Cigarette Smoking: An Independent Risk Factor for Impotence? Am J Epid 1994 140(11):1003-7
For more information see health Canada web pages.
Recent articles on sexual impotence related to smoking
- Sugimori H, Yoshida K, Tanaka T, et al.: Relationships between erectile dysfunction, depression, and anxiety in Japanese subjects. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE 2 (3): 390-396 MAY 2005
- Lam TH, Abdullah ASM, Ho LM, et al.: Smoking and sexual dysfunction in Chinese males: findings from men’s health survey. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF IMPOTENCE RESEARCH 18 (4): 364-369 JUL-AUG 2006
- Gades NM, Nehra A, Jacobson DJ, et al.: Association between smoking and erectile dysfunction: A population-based study. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY 161 (4): 346-351 FEB 15 2005